lout-users

Re: New page, contents and references

From: Stéphane Legrand
Subject: Re: New page, contents and references
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 23:38:41 +0100

Le mercredi 12 janvier 2011 à 06:58 +1100, Jeff Kingston a écrit :
> Stephan,
>
> First up, I wonder about the need for reports whose references
> sections start on a new page.  All the tech reports I have
> ever seen do not have this.
>
> However, let's say for the sake of argument that it is a
> reasonable thing to do.  For my money, adding @NP just
> before the end of the last section is the way to go.
> It's simple and it takes about 0.5 seconds to do.
>
> If there is then a problem with page numbers in tables
> of contents, then that needs to be looked at.  How
> about posting a small example, including the version
> of file report that you are using (you must be using
> a customized version of report, since by default you
> don't get tables of contents in reports).
>
> Jeff

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.

I was trying to build this small example and, of course, i found why i
had this problem...

I ran lout with this shell script :

  rm -f ./references/*.li
  rm -f *.ldx *.li *.lix *.ld
  lout -r4 file.lout > file.ps

which gives me the following output (last lines) :

  299,1: unresolved cross reference
@SectionList&&10.710.memoire_latin1.lout.11
   299,1: unresolved cross reference
@SectionList&&10.710.memoire_latin1.lout.11
    38,1: no @ContentsPlace precedes or follows this
@ContentsPlace&&foll_or_prec
lout:
        : lout -r beginning run 2:
lout:
        : lout -r beginning run 3:
lout:
        : lout -r beginning run 4:

Don't ask me why but i replaced "-r4" with "-r5" and... the problem goes
away. With 5 runs, the contents is perfectly ok ! Even with several @NP
just before the end of the last section.

So... i feel terribly sorry to have asking a question with a so simple
answer :-( It's the first time i had to run more than 4 times lout to
build a doc. Can it happen or could it be a symptom of some problem (if
yes, i can still try to build the small example or i can even send you a
zip with all my original files) ?

Thank you.

Regards,
Stéphane.