lout-users

One last mail on the subject[Was: Re: Trouble with paragraph duplication

From: Pierre
Subject: One last mail on the subject[Was: Re: Trouble with paragraph duplication]
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 19:16:02 -0500

Pierre:
> PS
>
> > Otherwise Lout will try to put 2 full-width objects
> > side by side, which obviously won't work.
> >

> More Precisely I think, Lout puts the first @Lorem on the page; as it
> contains a paragraph of text, it takes the full width available, which
> is the width of the page if not otherwise limited (by @Width or by
> columns).
> Then Lout tries to put the second @Lorem near the first, but there is no
> space available anymore, hence the error.

The key is to remember that text is flowable. As such, it behaves much
like a fluid in a gravity field: it will occupy all the space
horizontally before growing vertically. In the case at hand, you need to
either create a container (using @Wide) to limit its horizontal
expansion (think of it as a milk carton). I believe you could wrap only
the first @Lorem in a @Wide container and flow the second one in the
remaining available space, but I did not test it.

The other solution is to use columns (| symbol); that forces Lout to
consider both sides  "at the same time" when flowing the text. To re-use
the liquid analogy, it is like pouring 2 fluids simultaneously on both
sides of a mobile (but tight) separation: the separation will
"equilibrate" in the middle of the available space (provided each side
is at least one line long; otherwise the separation will shift
accordingly, the default being alignment to the left I believe).
Lout is pretty smart!

Sorry for spamming the list, but if for once I can help...
Next time I'll try to think about my answer beforehand an post a single
message, I promise!

--
Pierre