lout-users

Re: LaTeX "stretch" equivalent

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: LaTeX "stretch" equivalent
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 01:08:14 +0400

On Sat, Jul 07, 2012 at 01:05:00 +0200, Matej Nanut wrote:

> I'm afraid I've hit another snag. How would I go about getting two
> rules to the left and right of a centred object?
>
> Like this: [---------------- text ----------------].
>
> I've tried using "|" and "&" with various combinations of
> @FullWidthRule and @LocalWidthRule, but I can't figure it out.
>
> Sorry for being so annoying. An answer in the form of the (obvious? :/
> ) page (or approximate section) in one of the guides would more than
> suffice.

I guess the fragment you are interested in is the Expert's Guide,
section 2.6, "The style and size of objects".  Specifically, the
second exception to the "as wide as possible" rule - the way space is
apportioned to components of horizontal concatenation.

The problem you encounter is that in something like

  @LocalWidthRule |0.5rt TEXT @LocalWidthRule

the first object gets minimum width (zero in this case).

I'm not sure there's an easy way around this.

-uwe