Re: LYNX-DEV don't give a damn?

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV don't give a damn?
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 20:18:37 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden (Larry W. Virden, x2487) wrote:
>> www.host.dom.  Here, for example, it points to someone whose job,
>> among other things, is to forward the mail to whomever is the
>> appropriate person for whatever is in the message, and does not point
>> to the "webmaster" in the sense of the person who oversees functioning
>> of the server.  I suspect there are lots of sites set up that way now.
>
>In many cases however there is no email address of webmaster at all.
>So having a way to edit it, so that you can try postmaster, root, etc.
>would be nice.

        That's simple to do, per se, but it requires integration with
with security/restrictions code, so I put it off.  Here's an example,

        A site may allow 'c'omments and equivalent use of mailto links
derived from actual documents, but not mailto as a 'g'oto URL, which
amounts to Lynx being a general envelop to the site's mailer.  If
you allow editing of the address@hidden "guess", it need not be
to postmaster, etc., and you similarly are creating a general envelop
to the site's mailer.  Also, if there indeed is neither a LINK REV="made"
nor WebMaster account at the site, nor a mailto Anchor in the document
for reporting problems, you're back to the situation of potentially
well-intentioned but counter-productive "unsolicited email" from the
recipient's perspective.  A LINK REV="made", mailto Anchor, or
address@hidden account, all *do* imply solicitation of constructive
criticism.

                                Fote