LYNX-DEV Re: http://us.imdb.com

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: http://us.imdb.com
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 11:44:47 -0600 (CST)

[CC'ed to address@hidden

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Stupendous man wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Klaus Weide wrote:
>
> ==>You should not get this selection page, but rather directly go to the
> ==>requested page, if your
> ==>     preferred document lan(G)uage:
> ==>which can be set from the Options screen specifies either English or
> ==>German, with their standard two-letter codes:
> ==>     preferred document lan(G)uage: en
> ==>or
> ==>     preferred document lan(G)uage: de
[ etc., snipped ]

> I initially did have the preferred document lan(G)uage set to en
> I then erased it and then typed en again.
> Then I couldn't even get into the selection page.
> Then I typed en;q=1.0, de;q=0.5
> Same message.
> Then I tried de
> Same message.
> Then I tried de;q=1.0
> Same message.
>
> Here's the message I got
>
> >                        The Internet Movie Database
> >
> >IMDb pages are currently only in English and German.
> >
> >   Your browser has said that it only accepts: en;q=1.0, de;q=0.5
> >
> >   IMDb pages are by default in English (en). Some are in German (de).
> >   When there's a choice of languages, your browser must be willing to
> >   accept one of those choice.
> >
> >   Note: accepting "en-gb" (British English) or "en-us" (US English) does
> >   not mean that you accept "en" ('vanilla' English).
> >
> >   See also our language preference information page.
>
> I am not sure if I am doing something wrong. I typed it exactly the way
> you asked me to (punctuation and all).

Well, it definitely works for me..  I don't know what goes wrong in your
case.  The page you quoted shows that the server got the string
"en;q=1.0, de;q=0.5" from the Accept-Language header, yet it seems unable
to understand it.  But it understands the same string when I send it.

So one guess is that the string is not what it appears to be, that it
somehow has some control or invisible characters embedded.

Do you have any problems, with the same Lynx executable, to access other
sites, or type things in?  (search strings for '/', 'g'oto sites, etc.)
Are there any unusual settings?  How is your
     display (C)haracter set      :
set?

Is Lynx connecting directly to the server, or is it going through a proxy?

You should use Lynx in trace mode and see whether that gives any hints.
Try
   lynx -dump -trace http://us.imdb.com 2> some.file
and then see whether some.file contains any hints.  Especially
the Accept*: headers should be checked.

   Klaus

;
;