getting the multi-bookmarks in WAS: Re: LYNX-DEV patch to make "=" page

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: getting the multi-bookmarks in WAS: Re: LYNX-DEV patch to make "=" page "live" (revised "patch 11")
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 11:19:51 +0900 (JST)

I've been trying to hang low, but as the pseudo-quasi-sysadm of a
limited-resource machine I'd like to make a humble request to the
lynx-dev community.  The multi-bookmarks feature is very convenient
and probably should be in the standard lynx, but it may not be useful
to everyone.

Refer to Klaus's post for particulars:
        http://129.237.17.75/lynx-dev/9610/0669.html.
What I would like to see is a more modular structure of lynx code,
with an easy way of not including modules that are unnecessary or
even undesirable for a particular site.

It is extremely easy to remove modules from the wwwlib stuff; there are
even commented instructions right along the code in HTAccess.c on how to
do it.  Of course this has no effect on the lynx binary.  I've been trying
to take out, for example, the LYTraversal.o module, which _would_ have a
significant impact on the final size of the lynx binary.  However this
effort has proven to be no picnic, and quite frankly I still haven't
succeeded.

So what I am asking is, could new major features be appended to lynx as
modules with a simple mechanism for not including them?  (Or is that
already being done, but I don't know how to do it?)  The only concrete
example I could give would be Rob's styles enhancement, which increases the
size of the lynx here by over 10%.  Does just dropping the -DCS from the
compile flags give the same effect as, in addition, removing `($STYLE).o'
from src/Makefile?  (I've tried to test it, but I cannot get lynx-rp to
compile.)  Could macros be set up to remove all unwanted modules, with the
added feature of providing messages "%% is not supported" should someone
try to use a feature that is available in the standard lynx?

What puzzles me as a layman is, why couldn't _all_ of the unwanted code,
eg ftp, telnet, mail, news etc. etc. when running -validate, be removed
from the code in the first place rather than blocking its use?

__Henry
;
;