Re: LYNX-DEV Are Netscape rejecting Lynx

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Are Netscape rejecting Lynx
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 17:06:39 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, Foteos Macrides wrote:

>       I just tried those three URLs with Lynx and they worked fine.
> I really doubt that Netscape is locking out Lynx.  Note that www and
> home give the same page, with bad HTML.  It affects the FORM, but all
> the normal links I tried worked fine.

Just as a note about Netscape and Lynx, I did find a reference to Lynx in
the help for Navigator Gold 3.0.  I was looking at the image attribute
box, and it shows "Alternate Representations:" with "Text" (ALT) and
"Image" (LOWSRC) with both flagged collectively as Optional.  If you
activate help while on that dialog, the text in the help file tells you
that you should always specify a text representation so that text-based
browsers such as Lynx can see something.  Now, if we could just convince
people to read the online help (I work helpdesk in computer labs, and know
how impossible THAT is... {grin}).