Re: LYNX-DEV nifty "]" cmd -- BUT LOOK:

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV nifty "]" cmd -- BUT LOOK:
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 12:11:37 -0500 (EST)

Duncan Hill <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Sat, 16 Nov 1996, Klaus Weide wrote:
>
>> Congratulations, you dug up quite a collection there of sites/servers
>> that are, apparently, incapable of implementing a *basic* HTTP 1.0
>> method correctly...  So far I only knew of www.msnbc.com, a site always
>> good for examples of how not do do things.  I didn't know the ones you
>> listed were incompetent.
>>
>> Anyway, you must be using an ancient Lynx version.  2.5 and 2.6 throw
>> the garbage away.  *Tell* those folks at Netcom to upgrade - after all
>> you pay them money, right?
>
>I used 2.6 + Composite + Fote's mods to check it out..see the results in
>my previous posting.  It seems that mainly search engines displayed that
>property...

        I strongly suggest that you use the online 'h'elp to access
the "HTTP 1.0 Specs" or "HTTP 1.1 Specs" links, and then use the WHEREIS
('/') search utility in Lynx to find the information about HEAD requests.
It will explain to you what the servers should return as replies to HEAD
requests, and you can compare it with what those servers are returning.

        Once you DO read the relevant information, when you do start
getting an inppropriately long reply from a server, you can use the
'z'ap command to interrupt it, and by virtue of having read and understood
the information that has been developed and made convenient for you to
access, you will realize that you will not be missing the headers you
requested, by 'z'apping the inappropriate transmission of a body.

        This kind of advise even more importantly should be taken to
heart by David Combs.  David, when you begin messages with "I know,
I should RTFM", instead of going on and on playing the role of
perpetual newbie on this email list, you should instead RTFM and repay
the favor of our making Lynx and TFM available to you by becoming
personally knowledgeable, a constructive contributer, and a helper of
the real newbies.

                                Fote