LYNX-DEV text-challenged site

From: Philip Webb
Subject: LYNX-DEV text-challenged site
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 20:16:11 -0500 (EST)

>From address@hidden  Sun Nov 17 17:35:59 1996
>Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 22:36:17 +0000 ()
>From: Timothy Ritchey <address@hidden>
>To: address@hidden
>Subject: Re: your browser-challenged page

961117 Timothy Ritchey of Cambridge University (England) wrote:

>Why is it that the disenfranchised resort to being assholes in order to
>get their point across?
>
>> all you have to do is provide simple textual alternatives
>> to your silly icons
>> don't be gulled by techno-hype from commercial companies.
>
>I believe that by creating a site that is Text UNFRIENDLY I will help the
>cause of forcing all the backward individuals out there on the net to
>finally GET A CLUE, get a real browser, and a real computer to run it
>on. In the end, dumping even more money into commercial companies, where I
>might possibly be able to GET A JOB.
>
>Ironically, once you get past the first page, the site is almost NOTHING
>BUT TEXT!!!! Unfortunately, you'll have to try a little harder to find it.
>
>Cheers, tim

the site in question  catal.arch.cam.ac.uk/catal/catal.html  concerns
the ancient city of Catalhvylk in Turkey (7000 BC): the site has been posted
on various site lists for several months without being approachable;
the owner confesses to being new to site-building.

my full comment was (roughly: it didn't get copied into  sent ):

"having finally got thro' to your site after several tries, i find it
impossible to go any further due to your failure to provide for text browsers.

90 % of the time people using the www -- even for an archaeological site
like yours -- want TEXT.  all you have to do is provide textual alternatives
to your silly icons.

don't be gulled by technohype from commercial companies telling you
that everything other than Notstraight & Exposure is out of date.

when people have got used to using the www on an everyday basis,
TEXT is what they are going to want most of the time."

anyone else like to check out his site?
;