LYNX-DEV SunOS woes (yes more of them)

From: Subir Grewal
Subject: LYNX-DEV SunOS woes (yes more of them)
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 04:17:31 -0500 (EST)

Hiya,

Well I tried to compile 2.6 + composite patch as of 11/23 on my brand new
ISP's machines.  Needless to say, it's been a horror story.  SunOS 4.1.3
and it does seem to require RESOLVLIB since when I built without it, it
got me nowhere except the local files.  I've been speaking to others on
CRL and they have the same problem.  Someone does have a binary on CRL,
and it works, but it wasn't compiled there.

In any case, without RESOLVLIB it bombbed, with RESOLVLIB defined I
haven't been able to compile successfully (and I've wasted 3 hours on
that).  I've placed the errors at http://www.crl.com/~subir/t.sun4 (102K)
and it seems like it died towards the end.  Appears _inet_aton and
_strerror weren't defined.  Couldn't find _inet_aton, but did find
_strerror in WWW/Library/Implementation/HTTCP.c it's defined for a bunch
of systems, not for sun though.  make's dying throes follow:

Linking and creating Lynx executable
gcc -O -DUNIX -DSUN     -DSUN4 -DFANCY_CURSES -DLOCALE  -I../WWW/Library/Implem
entation -I/usr/5include        -DDIRED_SUPPORT  -DOK_TAR -DOK_ZIP -DOK_GZIP -D
OK_UUDECODE -DOK_OVERRIDE -DOK_PERMIT -I..  -o lynx  LYClean.o LYShowInfo.o LYE
dit.o LYStrings.o  LYMail.o HTAlert.o GridText.o LYGetFile.o  LYMain.o LYMainLo
op.o LYCurses.o LYBookmark.o LYUtils.o  LYOptions.o LYReadCFG.o LYSearch.o LYHi
story.o  LYForms.o LYPrint.o LYrcFile.o LYDownload.o LYNews.o LYKeymap.o  HTML.
o HTFWriter.o HTInit.o DefaultStyle.o LYLocal.o LYUpload.o  LYLeaks.o LYexit.o
LYJump.o LYList.o LYCgi.o LYTraversal.o  LYEditmap.o LYCharSets.o LYCharUtils.o
 LYMap.o ../WWW/Library/sun4/libwww.a  -lcurses -ltermcap -L/usr/5lib   -lresol
ld: Undefined symbol
   _inet_aton
   _strerror
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `lynx'
Current working directory /tmp/subir/lynx2-6/src
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `sun4'

As usual my naiivete shows, but I really can't get anywhere with this.

address@hidden * PGP * Blue-Ribbon * Lynx 2.6 * address@hidden

;
;