RE: LYNX-DEV bookmarks

From: David Hardy
Subject: RE: LYNX-DEV bookmarks
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 18:09:24 GMT

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996 11:22:28 -0500, address@hidden (Graham
Elliott) wrote:

> I am a member of the Niagara Penninsula Free-net and it uses links!  Last
> night I went and deleted one of my bookmarks and then my whole bookmark
> screen disappered.  In this, should I ask for help from my system admin or
> could you tell me what I should do to locate my bookmark screen that got
> lost!  What I have right now I can put bookmarks on it but the little
> spiel on the top of the screen that tells me how the bookmarks work isn't
> there!
>
> HELP!!!!!!1

You could try renaming your bookmarks file to another name (mybook.tmp, for
example) and then use Lynx to create a new bookmark file by adding a link. Now
rename the new bookmark file to something else (goodbook.tmp, for example) and
rename the original bookmark file (mybook.tmp) back to its correct name. By
comparing the two files, you should be able to see what is wrong with your real
one. The chances are that you've accidentally removed part of the pre-amble
that is included before the list of bookmarks. Now correct the bookmark file
using the knowledge gained.

Alternatively, if you have a friend of colleague using Lynx on the same system,
you could ask them for a listing of their bookmark file to compare against
yours and use as the basis for a fix.

David