LYNX-DEV miscellaneous comments

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: LYNX-DEV miscellaneous comments
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 07:36:33 -0500 (EST)

I have some extra time and would be happy to try using the latest 2.6 stuff.
(I'm legally blind and am interested in the success of lynx.
I also have several friends at work who are not blind but like lynx.)

Anyway, I grabbed lynx2-6FM and built it this morning.
(I assume this is the base for 2.7.)

After some surfing I noticed a lot of prompts for accepting cookies.
Not knowing what a cookie is, I looked it up in the lynx users guide.
That didn't really tell me what cookies are used for.  Can someone enlighten me?
What type of info do they carry?
Is there ever a reason not to accept a cookie?  If I refuse a cookie, can
I still view the web page I'm linking to?

Multiple bookmark files are nice.

I copied my COLOR configuration from my lynx.cfg for 2.6.
Small nit:  I noticed there still aren't any comments in lynx.cfg describing
what the integers mean in the COLOR specs.  Grepping through the source in 2.6,
I noticed the following lines:

#./src/LYCurses.c:80:    SLtt_set_color(0, NULL, "black", "white");
#./src/LYCurses.c:81:    SLtt_set_color(1, NULL, "blue", "white");       /*
bold */
#./src/LYCurses.c:82:    SLtt_set_color(2, NULL, "yellow", "blue");      /*
reverse */
#./src/LYCurses.c:83:    SLtt_set_color(4, NULL, "magenta", "white"); /*
underline */
#./src/LYCurses.c:85:    SLtt_set_color(3, NULL, "green", "white");      /*
bold-reverse */
#./src/LYCurses.c:86:    SLtt_set_color(5, NULL, "blue", "white");    /*
bold-underline */
#./src/LYCurses.c:87:    SLtt_set_color(6, NULL, "red", "white");        /*
reverse-underline */
#./src/LYCurses.c:88:    SLtt_set_color(7, NULL, "magenta", "cyan");     /*
reverse-underline-bold */

If the comments are correct, this seems to imply that
        0=normal, 1=bold,
        2=reverse (which appears to be the status bar),
        4=underline, 3=bold reverse, 5=bold underline,
        6=reverse underline (which appears to be the current link),
        7=reverse underline bold
Perhaps someone could add this to the comments in lynx.cfg to help in
setting the color options.

BTW -- the color options are GREAT for me as some color combinations are
harder to see than others.  I can now actually read the status bar!
Would it be hard to make this an option in .lynxrc instead of lynx.cfg?
(Don't take that as a request if it's hard to do.  I realize people are
putting in a lot of time on more improtant features.  As long as I can get
the colors from lynx.cfg, I'm happy...)

Unrelated issue:  I use numbered links.  I've run into a couple of pages which
contain a link that lynx can't select using the arrow keys.  (I think it may be
because the link has no title (excuse my terminology if it's wrong...).)
Example:
        http://www.metacrawler.com
Link [1] appears at the top of the page, and I can select it by typing "1"
but not using the arrow keys.
(This happens in older versions of lynx as well.)
Is this an html problem, or a lynx bug or feature?
If numbered links weren't on, there'd be no way of knowing the link was there.

If I run into anything else, I'll let you know.
Thanks!
--le
;
;