Re: LYNX-DEV Mistake in koi8-r support, I think

From: Андрей Чернов
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Mistake in koi8-r support, I think
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 23:28:04 +0300 (MSK)

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Christopher R. Maden wrote:

> [Andrey Chernov]
> > And what is incorrect? Visual-only compatibility expected in this
> > case and it looks like per your own words.
>
> Lynx won't do anything wrong - the error was *solely* in the code.
> And, if only Latin characters are available, Euml is definitely the
> thing to use for IOcy.  However, Lynx tries to remain "ideologically
> pure" wherever possible, and so in the interest of education, the
> comments should use the name of the character being referred to, not
> another character that happens to look the same.  Being Russian, you
> undoubtedly know that, even if the Russian thing-that-looks-like-an-E
> (IEcy or iecy) is transliterated as a Latin E, the Russian
> thing-that-looks-like-an-E- with-two-dots (IOcy or iocy) is a
> different letter altogether, best transliterated as "yo" or "io", not
> as e-with-an-umlaut.  The comments in the Lynx code should reflect the
> intent and the Right Thing To Do, so that others who wouldn't know
> this can understand.

It seems you not treat correctly purpose of the comments in this file.
The comments are related to 8859-1 entities to reflect their places into
8859-1, not to specific code set characters at all. So this comment says
that "this national character corresponds to 8859-1 Euml" and nothing
more.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<address@hidden>