LYNX-DEV Win32 Lynx

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: LYNX-DEV Win32 Lynx
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 12:22:55 -0500 (EST)

Located at http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/wlynx/ are four files.  They
should be:

readme.txt   This message.
lynx.patch   A patchfile against Lynx2-7 to compile it for Win32 under
             Borland C++ 4.52.
lynxexe.zip  A compiled Win32 Lynx.exe, lynx.cfg, cp.exe and mv.exe.
lynxpak.zip  Stuff you need other than the patch if you ever wanted to
             compile it yourself.

This is a WIN32 ONLY exe.  It does work on Win95 using the standard
winsock.  After that I have no idea.  I suspect NT will work.  Win3.11
should NOT work...not even with win32s and wolverine.  You are welcome
to try.

This is a console application meaning that it appears to run in a DOS box
within Windows, but it accesses the Windows network layer and other kernel
functions directly.

There are "issues" to resolve still.  The bigest being that there is no
"correct" Windows sendmail.  There are some fakes, but they aren't
compatable so we need to find something else.

If you want to run helper apps then they *may* need to be in your path.  I
haven't tested this much yet.

You NEED cp.exe (found in lynxexe.zip) if you are going to download --
remember that lynx executes a cp command to turn the temp file into what
you want.

This version uses BLOCKING lookups and connects.  I wasn't ready to
butcher the code to install non-blocking calls for Windows yet.  I just
wanted to see it work.

This uses PDCurses2.3.  I couldn't get SLANG to compile for WIN32.

This is NOT guarenteed to be a secure client.  Don't just slap it on an NT
server and open it up to the public (or whatever you do) without testing
it!!!

I am sure there will be questions, opinions, flames...I assume they should
ALL be sent to lynx-dev since this is a real port AFAIAK.

Wayne

;
;