LYNX-DEV KOI8-R (eas Re: Mime name of Windows-1252)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV KOI8-R (eas Re: Mime name of Windows-1252)
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 00:00:12 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, [KOI8-R] áÎÄÒÅÊ þÅÒÎÏ× wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Mar 1997, Klaus Weide wrote:
>
> > Btw., Andrey, it was a revelation when I discovered that KOI8-R gives
> > somewhat readable results even on an ASCII display by just stipping the
> > high bit..  So I put that cheap "translation" from KOI8-R --> (some
> > display character sets) in the chartrans code.  If you have some better
> > transliteration scheme, please contribute it.
>
> KOI8-R was designed this way :-) Be careful about controls you can make
> by stripping 8bit.

It is currently only done for the range 0xC0 - 0xFE, so no controls.

> I have only few additions:
> 1) Please translate Cyrillic Io and io (0xB3 and 0xA3) to latin "e"
> 2) Cyrillic hard sign (0xFF and 0xDF) to "'".
> 3) Copyright sign (0xBF) to "(C)" or even per-charset Copyright sign
> 4) Non-break space (0xA9) to " ".

Do you have a KOI8-R <--> Unicode mapping table that is already in
a format like

KOI8-R      Unicode
======      =======
0x80        U+....  # maybe garbage here..
0x81        U+....

I would have expected the linux kbd package to have a table like that,
but didn't find it there.  I know I could extract it from the KOI8-R RFC,
but prefer to avoid that...

With such a table, lynx could translate KOI8-R --> iso-8859-5 and vice
versa (except for non-Russian characters of course).

  Klaus

;
;