Re: LYNX-DEV lynx crashes on this url

From: Roscinante
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx crashes on this url
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 20:44:10 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Duncan Hill wrote:
> > Lynx crashes when you select the download link off this page,
> > http://www.ecsnet.com/html/21-p0298.html
> > It prompts to download or cancel, gets the file, asks to save as, which I
> > hit enter on, then gets a sig11 and dumps core..

> Ouch..so it does..lesse what a trace provides..
> Hmm..interesting, it wasn't Lynx that crashed (AFAICT), but cp.
> Lets try again..this time noting the tmp filename..sorry, it is Lynx that
> is screwing up, and its not a .gz either..wierd.
> Lynx also left its files in /tmp.  an HTML and the ".gz"..which is
> actually text/plain..
> If I strace it, Lynx doesn't seg fault though, goes on quite happily..

I looked at lynx's trace, didn't see anything there, didn't think to try
strace on linux..  Still strange behaviour..

> I think I'll ask ecsnet.com why they have text files as x-gzip though :)
> Sorry I can't help, I'll gladly send a strace or whatever..

I did send the web page's maintainer a note about the page, I'm curious why it
causes problems at all tho..

~~
All that is gold does not glitter..                          .
Not all those who wander are lost..J.R.R.Tolkien       .     /\     .