Re: LYNX-DEV bug?

From: Dennis Moore
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV bug?
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 21:52:23 -0500

On Tue, Apr 08, 1997 at 03:54:06PM -0400, Wayne Buttles wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Dennis Moore wrote:
>
> > LYMainLoop.c, lines 376-7:
> > printf("\nlynx: Can't access startfile %s\n",
> >                                startfile);
> >
> > shouldn't this go to stderr?  i glanced through the source to see what
> > kinds of things _did_ go to stderr, and noticed that most, if not all of
> > them, are prefaced by an if (TRACE).  the main reason i'm asking this is
> > because someone was trying to write a perl script which did a
> > lynx -dump | ispell, and didn't want the pipe to occur if lynx dumped
> > something to stderr.  "can't access startfile" seemed like an error to
> > both of us.
>
> If I am not mistaken, this is a FATAL error.  That is why it goes to
> stdout.  Lynx will not run if the startfile is not there so it complains
> instead.
>
> Wayne

hrm... i'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, but i asked a
couple other programmers, and they all agreed this message should go to
stderr.  granted, 99% of the lynx users will never know the difference,
but it's not just a programming principle thing.  say you're running lynx
in the background to download a whole web tree or spellcheck web pages...
you'd _want_ this notice to go to stderr.  comments?

--
pity this busy monster, manunkind,          |   Dennis  Moore   |         Sarah
not. Progress is a comfortable disease.     |  address@hidden  |     McLachlan