Re: LYNX-DEV still problems compiling

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV still problems compiling
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 23:07:10 -0700

Nelson Henry Eric wrote:

> Setting environment variables stopped gcc:
>
> setenv CPPFLAGS /home/nelsonhe/.slang/src
> setenv LIBS /home/nelsonhe/.slang/lib
> configure --with-screen=slang

> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
> creat
> e executables.
>
> Is there a way to simply add on includes and libraries?  Having to
> set them globally each time is going to be impossible.

You're on the right track, but the syntax is a little off.  CPPFLAGS and
LIBS are strings which will be added into cc command lines.  To specify
a location for libraries on the cc command line, you use "-L directory".
For includes it's "-I directory".  So you want:

  setenv CPPFLAGS "-I /home/nelsonhe/.slang/src"
  setenv LIBS "-L /home/nelsonhe/.slang/lib"

When configure fails, it will have left behind a file, config.log.  In
it will be the actual commands it was trying to run, and the resulting
error messages.  You would have seen gcc's command line and error
message, which hopefully would have explicated the problem.

>Bela<
;
;