LYNX-DEV MacLynx Information

From: Olivier Gutknecht
Subject: LYNX-DEV MacLynx Information
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 01:20:20 +0200

As promised, some information about the Lynx port for the Mac:

Features:
---------

- Based on 2.7.1 Lynx source code (04/04).
- Speech Manager support.
     - A special PRINTER sending a document to the synthetiser
     - A special mode to pronounce the current highlighted link.
- Initial window size can be set in lynx.cfg
- Early AppleEvent support (Open, Close, Quit, GetURL).
- Internet Config savvy. Internet Config is a popular MacOS package that
allows users to have global preferences for Internet programs (e-mail,
servers names, helpers apps, ...). MacLynx can redirect mailto:, telnet:,
.. URLs to your favorite external application.
- MacLynx accept GetURL AppleEvent, so it can be used as the default http
browser
- Downloaded files have their MacOS type/creator Finder info set
accordingly to their extension.

Limitations:
------------
- Can't print by itself. You must save your document and print it with
another application.
- My tester reported strange behavior with proxies.
- Local filesystem support is not complete. You can only use
<file://localhost/...>, whose starting point is the MacLynx folder.
- Documents are rendered in 7-bits: I'm using an old curses package. I plan
to port and move to Slang in the future.
- Mac Preferences Folder & Temporary Items Folder are not used yet.
- Dired mode is not supported yet.

Planned features:
-----------------
- Window resize when running
- Better filesystem access
- My development machine is a PowerPC, and I have not compiled MacLynx for
680x0 yet, although it should not cause major problems.

I am looking for 5-10 alpha-testers before releasing it. If you're
interested, email me.

Ol.

--
Olivier Gutknecht    ....    Laboratoire d'Informatique, Robotique
address@hidden    ....    et Micro-Electronique de  Montpellier

;