Re: LYNX-DEV Treatment of ­ ?

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Treatment of ­ ?
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 21:18:23 -0500 (EST)

Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
>[...]
>It could be resonable (as a form of error recovery) to show a hyphen
>character when &shy; is used outside of a word.  Of course I don't
>know what Fote thinks about this (who implemented the SOFT_HYPHEN
>logic).  There is also no guarantee that people who misuse &shy; to
>get some graphically different sort of hyphen will only use it outside
>of words  But Lynx should at least deal with any occurrence within a word
>in the correct way - after all somebody may be using &shy; who actually
>knows what it is supposed to do.

        I can only give my personal opinion of how it should work,
which is exactly how I implemented it in the formally released code.
You and/or the other currently active developers should decide how
it should be in the devel code.

        A soft hyphen (&shy; or &#173;) indicates positions in an
HTML stream where a line break can occur if needed, but should not
appear in the text unless a line break *was* made there and thus
the hyphen is on the end of the line.

                                Fote