Re: LYNX-DEV USEMAP problems (was Re: fotemods.zip update)

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV USEMAP problems (was Re: fotemods.zip update)
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 22:37:52 -0500 (EST)

Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
>[...]
>It seems the ImageMap structured never get deleted (except at program
>exit), and there is now way to "uncache" them.  This means that if
>a map changes during the lifetime of a Lynx session (and the document
>is reloaded), old (deleted) AREA entries will continue to show up.
>I think this cold simply be improved if LYAddImageMap() would just
>delete an ImageMap if it finds there already is one with the same
>address, and then create a new (empty) one, instead of reusing what
>it finds.

        Whenever Lynx encounters a MAP in a document, it will be
interpreted, and will replace any previous interpretation in the
ImageMap structure (note that I changed ImageMap to LYImageMap
because I now access it outside of LYMap.c, i.e., in HTML.c),
i.e., update it in the structure.  If it's not in the current
document, i.e., if a link in the current document references a
MAP in another document, and that other document was rendered
previously such that the interpreted MAP is in the structure,
Lynx should send an If-Modified-Since request to decide whether
to use it or get the other document again and re-interpret the
MAP.

        But If-Modified-Since requests aren't implemented in Lynx
yet (Want a project? 8-).  When implemented, they should also
be sent before using any cached documents sought via forward
links (as opposed to via the PREV_DOC command or History Page).
That was one reason for my *adding* the Visited Links page, with
forward links, rather than treating it as a replacement for the
History Page.  The History Page links would still be treated
like PREV_DOC commands, whereas those in the Visited Links page
would invoke If-Modified-Since checks.

                                Fote