Re: LYNX-DEV Parser stuff (was: Another fotemods.zip update)

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Parser stuff (was: Another fotemods.zip update)
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 18:13:42 -0500 (EST)

Rob Partington <address@hidden> wrote:
>[...]
>ObHack: has anyone fixed the "view source too wide for my screen"
>problem?  if not, then how about this for a quick solution: get
>html_start_element to add "<%s>", element_name (and similarly for
>html_end_element) to the gridtext structure when a certain flag was set?
>you'd need to work out a way to print the attributes, but you'd get nice
>word-wrapped source (probably have to hack split_line to understand about
>not splitting in certain places in tags as well).

        That's a "feature" which should be understood before changing it,
and the FAQ'ers in particular should understand this and be able to
explain it in the future.

        There is code in GridText.c which disables wrapping in source
mode.  It's easy for any programmer to locate that and disable it, but
if you do, should you save the HTML source via the 'p'rint menu, the
HText structure will retain such "artificial" wraps, and newlines will
be present on the ends of such lines -- causing spaces to be inserted
at those points -- when rendering the saved (but thereby "corrupted")
source file with a browser.

        The lynx.cfg now stresses the importance of including a PRINTER
option for a file viewer like most, and includes an example PRINTER line
for that.  HTML "source" files are text/plain (no links in them, just
markup for links 8-), so with most you can do the horiziontal scrolling
for viewing long lines, without having "corrupted" the source file
(except for expansions of tabs 8-).

                                Fote