Re: LYNX-DEV DECC.OPT question

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV DECC.OPT question
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 12:56:51 -0500 (EST)

"Brian Tillman, x8425" <address@hidden> wrote:
>Foteos Macrides (address@hidden) writes:
>
>>The intent is to have Lynx build with any combination of VMS and DECC
>>versions.
>
>Thanks.  A couple of additional questions: why not have a VAXC.OPT and a
>DECC.OPT like so many other packages where the BUILD procedure detects whether
>the build is using DEC C or VAX C?  Why would I not want to use DECCCURSE.OLB
>instead of VAXCCURSE.OLB?

        We don't want anything from any .olb libraries, because then
the functions will be inlined into the Lynx image.  We want everything
that can be linked with the system's shared image libraries to be used.
DECC is not as mature as it's version numbering would imply.  It was
given numbers to be in register with VAXC, and to indicate that it's
VAXC's replacement.  DECC v4.n is really a v1.n, and v5.n is really a
v2.n.  If we do fail to link anything with the shared image libraries,
we want to inline the version from a VAXC .olb, because those functions
are all mature and work exactly as intended by Lynx.

                                Fote