Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX: london SUNDAY TIMES

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX: london SUNDAY TIMES
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 21:28:22 -0600

address@hidden (David Combs) writes:

> http://www.the-times.co.uk/news/pages/Sunday-Times/frontpage.html?1041184
>
>Hey, I just tried to read the sunday times,
>and it said that my browser (which was lynx,
>but how did it know that?) would not work.
>
>Here is what it says:
>
>                                                              The Sunday Times
>
>   FRAME: [1]/news/pages/standing/shared/bg.n.html?1041184
>   FRAME: [2]left
>   FRAME: [3]frame2
>   FRAME: [4]/news/pages/standing/shared/bg.n.html?1041184
>
>                       THE SUNDAY TIMES INTERNET EDITION
>
>   We are sorry but The Times and Sunday Times Internet Editions will not
>   function with your current browser. We have updated our site to take
>   advantage of the technological advances that have taken place since we
>   first launched in January 1996.
>
>   Please either download the latest version of [5]Netscape Navigator or
>   [6]Microsoft Internet Explorer which will enable you to access the
>   site.

David,

Nothing is really wrong, they have just started using frames. Rather than
try to explain to you that they are using frames, they put the above crap
in the <NOFRAMES> section. Notice the "FRAME:" stuff up there? [3]frame2
is the secret. Select it and you get something like this (I have numbered
links off, so there will be slight differences):

                                                               The Sunday Times

   FRAME: masthead
   FRAME: content

Here you select the "content" frame and you will see your article.

The problem is, rather than figure out how to deliver the desired page in
the <NOFRAMES> section, they just figured anyone who didn't have Netscrape
or Exploiter should get it and do it the easy way for them. What they should
have done is provide a bit of text explaining what is going on, a link to
a navigation page, and a link to the content page. Then, you could have
quickly gotten what you wanted.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,