ZIP? Why not standard tar?

From: bnelson
Subject: ZIP? Why not standard tar?
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 02:02:09 -0500

What's up with the use of ZIP files instead of the POSIX compliant tar
(either gzipped or compressed) files?

The gzipped tar files offer better compression and adhere to the true
spirit of freedom that Lynx embodies!

Although infozip is quite free (with source, too), it traces it's
heritage to the dreaded Micro$lut platform and Phil Katz. I note that
the developer distributions offer the ZIP flavors for the Gate$ partisans
and the tar format we lovers of freedom prefer. Why isn't the same done
for the standard distribution of 2.7.1?

I realize that ZIP may be popular with some -- but it reeks with the
stench of Micro$haft -- an enemy of Lynx! Please pass this message along
to whomever makes such decisions. It sets a very bad precedent. What
next? The Lynx home pages are "best viewed with Mickey$oft Exploder")?