Re: LYNX-DEV that famous "Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host."

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV that famous "Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host."
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 23:42:27 -0700

Nelson Henry Eric wrote:

> First there need to be more people updating their bind on various os's
> and testing the new bind library.  The question I asked was not meant
> to be rhetorical.  If it's only a matter of `can' use libbind.a, then
> it's hardly worth the trouble of composing the right test.  If it will
> eventually be `should' or even `must' use libbind.a, then, yes, Tom and
> Jim will not be wasting their time and their efforts will be appreciated.

The autoconf test should be quite simple.  Compile a program that calls
one of the resolver functions, and link it with "-lbind".  If it links,
use -lbind.  Otherwise try "-lresolv", "-lsocket", or nothing
(effectively "-lc").  "-lbind" should either find no library, or (if it
finds some unrelated library of the same name) fail to satisfy a
reference to a resolver library function.  The only case where "-lbind"
would resolve a symbol, but not work, would be where the system is
grossly misconfigured by its administrator; a case which Lynx should not
attempt to anticipate.

>Bela<
;
;