LYNX-DEV Announce: MacLynx beta1

From: Olivier Gutknecht
Subject: LYNX-DEV Announce: MacLynx beta1
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 01:55:46 +0200

MacLynx beta1 has arrived !

 It should run on PowerPC and 680x0 Macs with System 7.1 or later (7.5
preferred), with MacTCP or OpenTransport, with 1 Mb (2 Mb preferred).

The source code is based on Lynx 2.7.1 with tiny (< 50 lines) additions
from the current developmental version.

As beta1 is the first public version, it has not been tested on a large
number of configurations. And as MacLynx is developed and tested on a
PowerMac, the 680x0 might be less stable...

The MacLynx StuffIt archive (with 680x0 and PowerPC binaries) is at:
<http://www.lirmm.fr/~gutkneco/maclynx/maclynx_beta1.sit.hqx> (France) or
<http://www.panix.com/~perceval/maclynxbeta1.sit.bin> (USA)

Big thanks to the Lynx-Dev team for the lynx code: porting has been easier
than expected, and to Wayne Buttles: your DOS port has been a great help
sometimes to find the "right way" to remove an unixism in MacLynx.

MacOS specific features
======================
(most are controlled by new MacOS entries in lynx.cfg)

General
- Lynx window is resizable
- Basic mouse support (click on links)

AppleScript
- Open Document, Quit Application, Open Application and GetURL appleEvents
are supported (MacLynx can be used as the default Mac http helper).

Drag & drop
- You can drop an URL onto MacLynx window to make it "Go" to that URL
- Support for text file (or folder) drop on application to open "file://"
items.

Speech Manager
- MacLynx can speak a whole document (with a 'p'rint command) or pronounce
the highlighted link.

External helpers
- You can specify downloaders, and use an external image viewer (apps
signatures + appleEvents)

Peter Lewis' Internet Config
- MacLynx supports IC file typing preferences, as well as automatic IC
post-processing when defined
- MacLynx can read e-mail address & homepage from IC preferences, can use
IC to launch the favorite helper on non-http URLs.

Limitations
- Text is rendered with 7 bits approximations
- No cut/copy/paste on MacLynx window yet
- Cannot print by itself yet.

In the readme file, I asked that MacOS specific problems should be emailed
to me directly for the moment. I do not want hordes of Mac users arriving
in LYNX-DEV, complaining about MacLynx b1 bugs. :-)

Ol.

--
Olivier Gutknecht    ....    Laboratoire d'Informatique, Robotique
address@hidden    ....    et Micro-Electronique de  Montpellier

;