Re: LYNX-DEV Spelling the Lynx version (dot vs. dash)

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Spelling the Lynx version (dot vs. dash)
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 09:36:36 -0500 (EST)

"Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)" <address@hidden> wrote:
>[...]
>Coupl'a points:
>
>*)  The Gnu folks took the Lynx2-7-1.zip file and recast it to a tar.gz
>file, as is their style.  The also renamed the tar.gz file to be
>lynx-2.7.1.tar.gz, using the Gnu style of file naming.  I have no problem
>with that.

        Yes, that's fine for the ftp gateway or downloading code, because
for VMS Lynx will make it lynx-2_7_1.tar-gz.  It doesn't indicate what
will be the "breakout directory", but it's not an official "release
distribution" or "development distribution", anyway.

>*)  The change from dots to dashes in the current archives and
>patch-o-matic was more accidental than deliberate...

        Well, there was a posted suggestion to retain the convention
of appending a letter or letters to the version string, and to the
breakout directory, so that the development code would be distinguished
from the vanilla v2.7.1 code, and be broken out in a directory tree
different from that for the vanilla code.  But I also am not following
the convention, and appending FM for the fotemods stuff, 'cus I don't
want it misperceived as development code, as when I was the "defacto
coordinator" and appended those letter to the released version string
and breakout directory.

>*)  To accomodate the 8.3 convention, I linked the current archive to
>"lynx-cur.zip".  New versions could perhaps be aliased to be
>"lynx-272.zip" or "lynx-272.tgz".

        The lynx-cur.zip is OK for now, but why have any hyphens for
a new version, instead of leaving room for at least one letter for
it's subsequent development code, e.g.:

        lynx272.zip (and compressed or gzipped tar's), vs. lynx272d.zip

which would be broken out in lynx272 versus lynx272d directories,
respectively?

>*)  When breaking out zip files under DOS, Info-Zip's unzip makes
>intelligent choices about file and directory names.

        Yes, the Info-Zip software is mature, beautifully designed,
and ideal for archiving portably across viturally all platforms.
Contrary to a lengthy expression of ignorance and tirade about
MicroSoft which was recently forwarded to this list, it is not
pkzip, and MicroSoft has nothing, whatsoever, to do with it.

                                Fote