Re: Lynx alters downloaded HTML LYNX-DEV

From: H E Nelson
Subject: Re: Lynx alters downloaded HTML LYNX-DEV
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 15:04:04 +0900 (JST)

Was Adam M. Costello's concern about lines being inserted when
d)ownloading an html document addressed?

Quoting from his post of Fri, 23 May 1997:

> When I use Lynx 2.7.1 to download an HTML page (using the `d' keystroke
> command), Lynx inserts two lines at the beginning of the file.  I don't
> like the fact that the page gets altered, and I especially dislike the
> fact that the result is non-compliant HTML, because the BASE tag belongs
> in the HEAD element.

I have the same concern.  To be sure people understand, here is a post
by Laura that illustrates the point.  (Hope it was all right to quote it,
and I did not intend anything personal; It's just the first archived
example I found.)

> So when describing to newbies how to download source, it's probably better to
> tell them to hit backspace then d to download it from the link on the history
> page, so they will be sure to get the actual source and not a processed
> version.
> --le
>
> <!-- X-URL: http://www.isn.com/cgi-bin/getNode?node=110405&group_id=1958&se
> <BASE HREF="http://www.isn.com/cgi-bin/getNode?node=110405&group_id=1958&se
>
> <HTML><body bgcolor="#ffffff" alink="#FF0000" vlink="#008c00" text="#000000
> <center>
> <pre><a href="/cgi-bin/getNode?node=1&session=24557147&timeout=864038834"><

It's _not_ not processed, and it's _not_ the actual source.  The lines
beginning "<!-- X-URL: h" and "<BASE HREF="h" are being added by Lynx.
At least I thought so; is the server doing that?

__Henry

PS  The reason your posts aren't getting through is that you are not
subscribed to lynx-dev, or you are not posting from the same address
you originally subscribed from.
;
;