LYNX-DEV handling of lists with the LH tag in 2-7-1 + fotemods

From: G. Del Merritt
Subject: LYNX-DEV handling of lists with the LH tag in 2-7-1 + fotemods
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 13:35:19 EDT

From somewhere waaaay back I seem to remember a long discussion on how lynx
should/could/would provide an interface to lists that should start "folded"
and could subsequently be "unfolded" when selected.  E.g., something like:
  <UL compact>
  <LH> A </LH>
  <LI> aardvark
  <LI> axiom
  </UL>
  <UL compact>
  <LH> B </LH>
  <LI> beavis
  <LI> butthead
  </UL>

would initially this render as:

and, if the user "selected" "A", the following would be presented:
        - aardvark
        - axiom

If I am completely mis-remembering, pardon me.  If I am remembering correctly
that such an accordian list is possible in lynx (without resorting to a CGI
script), would someone point me (privately?) to the thread in the archives
that discusses this?  I tried several archive searches, but none seemed to hit
relevant posts.  I also looked at the HTML 3.0 page on unordered lists:
        <URL:http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/html3/bulletlists.html>

but it didn't provide any additional insight to me as to what to do.  The 3.2
"spec" points to <URL:http://www.sandia.gov/sci_compute/elements.html#LH>,
which says:
  LH
   Description
          The LH element defines a list header used as a title for a
          list. Browsers can use this in place of the full list when a
          mechanism is provided to fold and unfold nested lists.

but I don't see how to folding in lynx.

Thanks.

--
Del Merritt                                                  address@hidden
IntraNet, Inc., One Gateway Center #700, Newton, MA  02158