Re: LYNX-DEV project: User Certificate support for Lynx

From: tzeruch
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV project: User Certificate support for Lynx
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 13:24:29 -0400

On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> address@hidden (Bruce R. Lewis) wrote:
> >Just want to let lynx-dev know that work has started on this project; If
> >you want to give input, speak now.
>
>       The http://web.mit.edu/teamhtml/Athena/FY97/lynx-cert/main/main.html
> writeup is outstanding.  My only concern is that you're planning to use
> the USE_SSL compilation symbol, which is for the built-in https, snews and
> CONNECT support, and gets you back into those legal issues.  Why not use
> a HANDLE_CERTS symbol, so USE_SSL can be reserved for patched in SSL support
> beyond certificate handling, per se?

The pages are very good, though the key size selection (1024/768/512)
should be on the key generation page.

You could also convert PGP keys.

But I don't think there are any fewer legal issues.  I would be interested
if MIT plans on checking if they need an export license and if they will
obtain one.

If the legal issues are the same, then there should just be USE_SSL,
otherwise a HANDLE_CERTS would be better.

But there is a technical issue about submitting the certificate signing
request on a secure (https/ssl) web page.  If you need SSL for that to be
secure, there seems to be no point in adding insecure certificate support.

;
;