Re: LYNX-DEV core dump

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV core dump
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 18:25:24 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Clyde Hoadley wrote:

> I am having trouble building lynx 2.7.1  I am on a DEC Alpha 2100
> running DU4.0b.  We are using the "advfs" file system.  I am using the
> Dec C compiler, invoked with the "cc" command.  I run the build
> with "make osf".

This is not the released 2.7.1 code.  From the excerpts below it appears
you are using some version of the development code from <URL:
http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/>.  But you give no indication from
which date the code is.  (Look at the top of CHANGES.new, and in
userdefs.h for LYNX_VERSION.)

If you want to compile the "official" Lynx 2.7.1, get rid of the sources
you have and get the sources you want.  If you want to try the current
development code, you should get the latest package from the URL mentioned
above, unpack them in a new directory tree, and then run "./configure".
(This isn't yet documented; try "./configure --help" first.)
See if you can compile that way, and if you still have those problems.

> When I try to run lynx, I get a Memoryfault(core dump).  I have tried
> modifying line 799 of GridText.c to read "title = (char *)tmp;" but,
> I still get a core dump.  I don't think it's coming from GridText
> anyway.  What do you suggest I do next?

If this persists, a stack trace from a debugger would help.
For example, with gdb:

# gdb ./lynx core
(gdb) where

    Klaus