Re: LYNX-DEV Alert!: file: URLs via bookmarks are disallowed! ???

From: Jon P Schewe
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Alert!: file: URLs via bookmarks are disallowed! ???
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 11:18:03 -0500 (CDT)

> I run a Free-Net with over 20,000 users, and am trying to get a
> phase-in of Lynx (instead of Gopher, which we currently run) as the
> user's interface and menu system .  I would like to offer DirEd
> support to *some* of my users.  I was thinking about it, and figured I
> could use a server-side CGI script to give the file://localhost/[path]
> links... but I need to block FILE:// links from everywhere else for
> security reasons.

This is just what we are doing here at the Twin Cities freenet.  We start
lynx with a perl script that sets options based on an options file and then
pass all the right restrictions to lynx.  We've also modified the source to
add in some extra checking.  If you want I can send along my patches,
although the patches are by file and not by what they do, so they will make
all our modifications.
Here are the base options that we pass:
-editor=/usr/local/rbin/rpico -cfg=lynx.cfg
-restrictions=print,bookmark,bookmark_exec,exec,exec_frozen,inside_news,inside_rlogin,new_post,outside_news,outside_rlogin,shell,suspend

Some of these may be outdated, as we have been using this script since before
lynx 2.6, but it seems to work pretty good.

--
Jon Schewe                |  http://freenet.msp.mn.us/~schewe
address@hidden  |