LYNX-DEV Re: Suggestion: parse .shtml as an HTML file

From: Yutaka Uratochi
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: Suggestion: parse .shtml as an HTML file
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 19:07:54 +0900

  Hi, lynx-developers.  Thank you all for your answer to my question.
They helped a lot !
  I'm the original asker.  I'm posting the summary.
  My original question was:

>>   Nowadays, more and more HTML files has extension other than .html.
>> For example, .shtml for SSI HTML, .phtml for PHP/FI embedded HTML.
>> Browsing those HTML files from the command line like this:
>>
>>   % lynx index.phtml
>>
>> doesn't parse HTML tags, because lynx assume it is a plain text.
>>   I want lynx to recognize files as HTML files, if the files have
>> extensions defined in lynx.cfg like:
>>
>>   HTML_EXTENSIONS:html,shtml,phtml

  Answers I got:

>> As a temp soln (if you didn't know), lynx -force_html index.phtml.

  This works, but force_html is long and hard to type quickly :-).

>>      This would be very difficult to do in Lynx (or any
>>      browser).  It would make a great deal more sense to
>>      place the page(s) (or links thereto) under some directory
>>      that was accessible by the http daemon and use a "localhost"
>>      URL.

  I worry about HTTPd process memmory & CPU consumption.  Why not just
browse the HTML file since it is on the local disk ?  It's faster and
smaller, and good enough to grab a rough image.
  In addtion, lynx let me edit the HTML file with 'e' command if I
browse it from the disk.  These advantages fully compensate for not being
able to use CGI.

>>      For example I can see things under my public_html directory
>>      as parsed by my local HTTP daemon by issuing the command:
>>
>>              lynx http://localhost/~jimd

  Also in this way, I can't use shell completion :-).

>> Just create a .mime.types file in your home directory (or edit the global
>> one if you can), and add a line like
>>
>> text/html                      html, shtml, phtml, htmlx
>>
>> Alternately, this can be done from within lynx.cfg:
>>
>> SUFFIX:.shtml:text/html

  This way is most efficient and elegant.  I am now happy with this
solution.

  I will put this solution to my page in both English and Japanese, so
people around the Net can share.

----
http://www.first.tsukuba.ac.jp/~urat/    |  Sorry, my page is Japanese only.
address@hidden                 |
   - Yutaka Uratochi -                   |  And sorry for my poor English.
College of Natural Science,              |  (corrections are welcomed :-)
 Univ. of Tsukuba, Tsukuba City, Japan   |
;
;