Re: LYNX-DEV Character set support 10

From: Андрей Чернов
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Character set support 10
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 17:59:05 +0400 (MSD)

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Michael Sokolov wrote:

>    Enclosure: the table for the GOST Alternative Cyrillic Character Set
> (uuencoded to avoid alteration by the E-mail system).
>
> begin 644 cp866_uni.tbl

Please don't apply this variant, Michael uses strange source for it
(hacked CP437 description instead of CP866 description from UNICODE)
an strange name. All Russian charsets (excepting KOI8-R) are adopted
by GOST, so adding GOST prefix gains nothing but confusion. Moreover,
"Alternative" word says nothing about this character set too for
novice user.

See the right implementation in my recently posted patch with subject
"lynx-ac-48: Cyrillic charsets patches incl. CP866"
I use "DosCyrillic (cp866)" name in my variant, it is more meaningful
for anybody.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<address@hidden>