Re: LYNX-DEV where do I patch the source to fix this "feature"?

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV where do I patch the source to fix this "feature"?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 15:09:23 -0500 (EST)

William Yang <address@hidden> wrote:
>Eli's redistribution point wrote something like:
>
>> Lynx, for reasons I disagree with, has a feature of special
>> handling of <p> in lists:
>
>[...]
>
>> Where can I patch the source to fix this? Specifically, I want blank
>> lines between paragraphs always. (Are there any other related "features"
>> I haven't yet noticed?)
>
>It complies with the HTML 3.2 suggested standard (don't know about
>4.0, but that's certainly acceptable behavior with 3.2).  By careful
>reading of that standard, it's possible to set up a document that will
>do what you want both in Lynx and in graphical browsers.  I tested
>with Lynx 2.7.1f and Netscape 3.01 gold.
>
>As I read the standard, the <P> behavior is really, essentially
>changing.
>
>$ ~/lynx2-7-1f/lynx -dump nbsp.html
>
>   This is not in a list context.
>
>   This is also not in a list.
>
>     * This /is/ in a list context.
>     * As is this.
>       And this, too.
>       Plus this.
>     * This, on the other hand, does what you want.
>
>       And this, too.
>
>       Plus this.
>
>   Out of list context.
>
>   Still out.
>
>-=-=-=

><ul>
><li> This /is/ in a list context.
><li> As is this.
><li> This, on the other hand, does what you want.
><BR> &nbsp; <BR> And this, too.
><BR> &nbsp; <BR> Plus this.
></ul>

        Note that I allow &nbsp; to override any COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS
compilation or configuration setting, intentionally, because there
is no other way to create arbitrary numbers of serial newlines if
there ever is a really good reason for them, but it will not override
the collapsing of Ps to the number of newlines for the current style.

                                Fote