Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx on a mainframe

From: Kevin Ternes
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx on a mainframe
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 09:49:12 -0400

Steve Shankman writes:
> Hello...
>
> I have two questions. First, what are licensing requirements
> for Lynx in a commercial environment? How much does it cost?
> Second, is it possible for the software to run on an IBM
> mainframe?
>
> Thanks...
> Steve Shankman
> 212 640 5699
> address@hidden

We are using Lynx to provide web access to mainframe users.
However, we are _not_ doing it on the mainframe.  There is a
commercial software package installed on the mainframe called
A-Net, which provides the users with a script-driven telnet
client.

The users select this application and are automatically
connected and logged into their account on a UNIX machine
dedicated for the purpose of hosting Lynx sessions for these
people.  Lynx is launched by the user's .profile.

Someone else mentioned other browsers that really run on
mainframes.  I don't know if those were considered for our
environment.  That was before my time.

-jkt

--
J. Kevin Ternes                     mailto:address@hidden