Re: LYNX-DEV Bug Confirmed: fragment lost during 302

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Bug Confirmed: fragment lost during 302
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 11:19:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Chris Maden wrote:

> When Lynx 2.7.1 follows a URL with a fragment, and receives a 302
> redirection, it loses the fragment.
>
> If you follow <URL:http://www.shore.net/%7Ecrism/geekcode.html#type>
> (a link from my home page at work), you'll receive a 302 redirection
> to <URL:http://www1.shore.net/~crism/geekcode.html>.  Lynx follows the
> redirection, but positions the view at the top of the page, instead of
> at the internal anchor.

Yes, that is also found by one of the tests on

> I'm trying to be good boy and use the canonical server for my ISP, and
> to follow RFC 1738 and escape the ~ as %7E.  But Lynx is punishing me
> for it! )-:

What are other browsers doing?

> I'm okay at writing C, but suck at reading other people's if it's as
> complex as Lynx.  But if someone can point me in the right direction,
> I can take a shot at patching this (now that I can do it on company
> time without violating the GPL....).

The place to change that should be in LYGetFile.c, function getfile().

Somewhere between

                    if (!HTLoadAbsolute(&WWWDoc)) {
                        /*
                         *  Check for redirection.
                         */
                        if (use_this_url_instead != NULL) {

and
                            goto Try_Redirected_URL;

you'll have to append the original `#fragment' (if present) to the new
URL,  which has been stored by HTLoadAbsolute() into
`use_this_url_instead' and is then copied to `doc->address').

   Klaus

;
;