Re: LYNX-DEV How to make Lynx smaller

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV How to make Lynx smaller
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 10:37:39 +0900 (JST)

> Can anyone suggest some strategic locations for #ifdef statements that
> will let me "trim the fat" from Lynx to create a smaller executable?
> Also, are there other libraries or compile options that might create a

Back in Dec. 1996 I did some experimenting on _Un*x_.  If you could only
search the lynx-dev archives, you would find quite a bit on this topic.
A quote from a post I made Dec. 24, 1996:

        Well, not linking in LYUpload.o, LYLocal.o, LYCgi.o, LYDownload.o,
        LYNews.o, LYMail.o, LYJump.o and LYTraversal.o reduces the lynx
        image about 9% (from 663552 to 606208 compiling on sun4 with gcc).

        The bottom line is, though, that it would hardly be worth it because
        of the difficulty of _selectively_ removing portions of LYDownload.o
        and LYTraversal.o, which are probably the biggest gainers.  These
        two have to be very carefully ifdefed out to prevent introducing bugs.

So just remove from src/makefile.dos the object files you don't need.  If
hand editing is no problem for you, you could "trim the fat" from chrtrans
tables.  In a recent post, Fote pointed out a chunk of code that isn't a must.
Heavy optimization (e.g., O4) helps, but I'm not sure if you can compile
at that level with the current code.  (It wasn't possible, on SunOS4 using
gcc, _about 3 months ago_.)  Linking to shared libraries reduces the size of
the Lynx image itself, but I'm not sure that will help you (if you can even
do it on DOS).

> If I can get the size from the current 920K to around 500K, everything

If you succeed, I'm still VERY interested in how to do it.  It once was
possible to get an image less than 400kB, but that would be more like
600kB with the more functional Lynx of today.  Please post your results.

__Henry
;
;