Re: LYNX-DEV How to make Lynx smaller

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV How to make Lynx smaller
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 17:48:58 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Jeff Groves wrote:

> Now that I've got Lynx to compile under DOS, I'd like to make the
> executable much smaller.
>
> I'm planning to run Lynx on an embedded 386 DOS system (actually, it's a
> hand-held barcode scanner gun) with only 2MB of RAM.  I don't need ftp,
> news, mail, or many of the other features.  All I need is just the basic
> browser stuff (although support for cookies is essential, which is why I
> can't use Bobcat).

Don't forget that with the current code, you need a DPMI manager and a
packet driver loaded for lynx_386 to function.  Even though CWSDPMI and
SLIP8250 are relatively small, they need to be loaded, in addition to
the DOS system files and the extended memory manager.  Let the list know
if you can make lynx_386 function without the packet driver - lots of
folks would like to see that option.

                                Doug
__
Doug Kaufman