Re: LYNX-DEV re: your lynx support

From: Klaus Schilling
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV re: your lynx support
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 10:23:31 +0100 (MET)

   Cc: address@hidden
   Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 18:58:46 -0800
   From: Jim Dennis <address@hidden>
   Sender: address@hidden

   > My terminal doesn't naturally wrap, so I'll make this brief.
   > Thanks for making my life simpler and faster. Lynx is the coolest, and
apparently

           What a confusing message!

           First I don't see what terminal line wrapping ("natural" or
           otherwise) has to do with message length.  Obviously you
           can, and did, insert some line feeds of your own.

   > now the most obscure browser I have ever seen.

           I don't think Lynx is even close to the "most obscure."
           While I've see quite a bit of ignorance of the access
           issues related to making HTML pages "lynx clean" I've
           seen very few web masters that hadn't heard of it.

           In other words Lynx is known to be out there; even if it
           doesn't get the respect that we feel it deserves.

   > I'm a linux newbie extremely impressed with my new universe.
   > Thank you for helping to make it possible.

           Lynx is not a Linux specific phenonmenon.  Indeed we
           Linux users have the rare advantage of Netscape support
           for our particular OS choice -- which which is not
           enjoyed by many of the other Unix variants in the world.

           I'd guess that Grail (a Python based web browser) or
           TkWWW (a TCL/Tk based one) would be much better contenders
           in the "most obscure" category.

But Net$cape doesn't come with sourcecode, and it doesn't run on the virtual
console. Lynx and emacs-w3 are the only ones that satify these criteria.

Klaus Schilling

;
;