Re: LYNX-DEV bzip2 support in Lynx?

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV bzip2 support in Lynx?
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 05:20:55 -0500 (EST)

> > After checking out bzip2, a better compression tool than gzip that is
> > GPL'd (http://www.muraroa.demon.co.uk/), I was wondering how to make
> > lynx support these files. bzip2's interface is purposely similar to
> > gzip's so it would seemingly be very easy to do.
>
> As far as I can see it is a simple localised change to HTFWriter.c;
> you should be able to make it without any real knowledge of C.
bzip2's command line isn't 100% compatible with gzip's.  it won't overwrite
files (though Lynx isn't much affected by that), and doesn't accommodate
8.3 filenames.  I didn't look much at it yet.

> The above will work for HTTP.  You also need to make some changes, still
> localised, but maybe a little more messy, in HTFile.c, for local files, and
> HTFTP.c for FTP.  This is the code you need to change in HTFile.c:
will save for reference.  thanks.

> even this is stereotyped, so you should be able to do a cut and paste change
> (repeat from "else if" with appropriate name and size changes).
(I prefer to not do cut/paste coding)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden