Re: Getting more developers (was Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx v2.7.2 release)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: Getting more developers (was Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx v2.7.2 release)
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 17:00:07 -0500 (EST)

971231 David Combs wrote:
> I myself would be willing to travel somewhere for a CLASS on lynx-hacking
> -- assuming someone would provide floorspace for sleeping bag, etc.
> We could each bring a printed copy (stack) of the code.
> Seems as if there is a HUGE amount to learn, to be able to hack lynx:
> not just the (at least one time, uncommented) code,
> but the rules about html, http, mime, etc, etc, etc.

physically meeting is probably too difficult to arrange in real life,
tho' very worthwhile if enough people could do it.

there is already on-line information about HTML etc (MIME ?) via help.
what is crucially lacking to enable potential developers to get started
is a good succinct account of what each source file & function does.
that's something Fote is in an excellent position to provide:
he has stated repeatedly that he wants others to take up the burdens etc
& it might not mean more than a few hours of his time to write a few lines
on each segment of the code.  comments inside the code are not enough:
we need a list of functions with a few lines of explanation for each.
then people would be much more inclined to get their hands dirty
for the first time.