Re: LYNX-DEV 2-8 preparations (was Java etc)

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV 2-8 preparations (was Java etc)
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 18:59:24 -0500 (EST)

> 970110 Nelson Henry Eric wrote:
> > Putting out a new version without Fote's blessing would be like leaving
> > a new-born baby on a bench in a train station in the middle of January.
>
> be that as it may, we have been hearing AD NAVSEAM since i joined the club
>  18 mths ago  that Fote "is not a developer & will not be a developer";
I've only been here a year (but I seem to recall some words along those lines)

> his sudden unilateral publication of 2-7-2 was motivated (fairly enough)
> by a desire to rectify the Cert security warning by year's end;
> otherwise, we should surely respect his wishes & treat him as EMERITVS.
> nonetheless welcome when he does care to drop by, of course.
I don't want to make demands on his time (but will pay attention if he
has something pertinent).

> Klaus' return is predictable, but not its date:
> on best guess of a sick parent, it could be  6 weeks  (me at one time)
> or  6 months  (a friend whose mother was terminally ill in the UK).
My inclination is to start moving to beta - we need verification of the
more recent changes (e.g., my merge of Fote's changes), and to fix any
remaining build issues (e.g., VMS and win32) that may be remaining or
newly introduced.  (I don't want to add new features - just test/repair
what's there - otherwise it'll drag on indefinitely).  If Klaus comes
back early enough, he may/may not find something that we've overlooked.
We can determine that when the time comes (my goal for this project is
support - not to determine the design).

> shouldn't the aim be 2-8 Beta,
> which everyone can download & test for  1 month  (say)?
That should be more than enough.  Bear in mind that the first week or
so will find bugs that people have been meaning to tell us about for
months.  Some will have to be fixed, others simply documented.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden