Re: LYNX-DEV 2.8 bug in handling > ?

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV 2.8 bug in handling > ?
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 05:37:28 -0500 (EST)

> On or about Tue, Mar 03, 1998, T.E.Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > http://www.aparima.com/F1/Grand_Prix/index.html
> It may be more complicated than that, though.  Removing just the <LI>
> and </LI> tags doesn't fix the rendering of the &gt; 's.  Removing the
> whole line, <LI> to </LI> inclusive, fixes it.  Removing one or both of
> the (unclosed) <FONT ...> tags that precede the <LI>...</LI> doesn't fix
> it.  Removing the </FONT> tag that follows the <LI>...</LI> fixes it.
>
> So, what's it all mean?  I dunno.  Two wrongs (unclosed <FONT>'s) make
> a right?  It's not the List Item, but what's inside it, that counts?
something like that - the error recovery is different between 2.7.2 (Fote)
and 2.8pre (Klaus).  Klaus' approach insists that things be nested
properly, otherwise the whole stack gets popped (an oversimplification, but
the effect is that small errors are very noticable).  Fote's approach tries
to not be that extreme.  Both work properly on correct html afaik, aside
from other bugs that may be in either version.

> Somebody that actually knows stuff will have to figure that out, and
> what lynx ought to do about it.
I think our best course is to fix the minor bugs we've found, and make
a stable release.  Then, after 2.8 we can pursue this issue.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden