Re: LYNX-DEV 2-8 size

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV 2-8 size
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 06:17:37 -0500 (EST)

> > dramatically!  If you get 55% like I do, you'll have a 0.847 M executable.
> > Not too bad...
>
> gzexe only helps on disk space.  It is neutral on memory if there is only
> one instance of the program active at once and positively bad if there
> is more than one, because there has to be a RAM copy of the read only
> data and code for each instance, rather than one for the whole system
> (as well as an expanded copy on disk for every instance).
well, yes - I'd agree with that too.  The context that I thought it applies
to is for copies on limited-size home directories (such as my ISP account ;-).
I checked & Clarknet has a copy, so I'll be experimenting as well.

We'll probably re-introduce the -O option from the configure script in
the next cycle of development: there are only a few machines where this
is known to be a problem (but for those, the program will either not build,
or will not run properly).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden