Re: LYNX-DEV Re: 2.8pre.5: install-help

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: 2.8pre.5: install-help
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 12:03:26 +0900 (JST)

> I guess that would be the approach: make the install-script modify the
> names.  I'd only noticed a few months ago that Lynx reads .gz files
> (but that's dependent on how the server's configured, right?).  I'm

Not sure.  If you've got libz, I think the extensions are hard coded;
if you're using an outside application, they are hard coded and additionally
Lynx reads the mimetype and mailcap entries to know what app to call.

A unique extension could be appended to all the files in the help file
set, and that extension then hardcoded in Lynx to switch on the decompression
routine, sort of like the support for bz2 that was talked about last
year.  It would be a really small addition to the code (wouldn't affect
ftp, http -- only files) and would avoid the mess of people misconfiguring
their mime.type/mailcap files.  I'd really worry about the portability,
though.

> right - I'd have to do some tinkering in configure, and probably a support
> script.  But that would cut down on the size of the help-files (so we can

Generally, implementing it outside of and independent of Lynx probably would
be the safest way to go, though it does add a bit of testing for configure,
and a bit of work for the system, i.e., only change the necessary URLs in the
help files and compress them on site if there is a gzip, and then configure
Lynx to call gzip to decompress before parsing.

Sort of dreaming right now.

__Henry