Re: LYNX-DEV Lack of timeout

From: John
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lack of timeout
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 13:39:55 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Philip Webb wrote:

> 980325 Wayne Buttles wrote:

> > What can I do to make lynx time out automatically?

> an obvious quicky is: can you do ^z in a batch file to
> check the time?  but 2 more thoughts, which have come up
> before occasionally:

Well it's "z" not "^z" but that's a minor point.

> (1) how easy would it be to add a line to lynx.cfg to set
> the time allowed before Lynx gives up on a site (incl a
> name look-up)?

I think that doesn't belong automagically in lynx.cfg but
rather should be set by the user or the syadmin.

> (2) instead of the dummy cursor, couldn't the current time
> be displayed?

That's a whole different question.  Some users use thier own
computer time.  Some on ISP's use the ISP's time which more
often than not is off by a few minutes.  Microscrew users
are frequently on Pacific Time because that's the software
default for Gates & Co.

Right now as I post this it will be exactly (within a few
seconds) 1:40 p.m. Pocono Mountain Standard Time (aka EST).

I do not guarantee that either my ISP or you browser will
read it correctly.

John