lynx-dev RE: LYNX-DEV lynx_w32.zip feedback

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: lynx-dev RE: LYNX-DEV lynx_w32.zip feedback
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:56:40 -0400

Foteos Macrides <address@hidden> wrote:
>Wayne Buttles <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Foteos Macrides wrote:
>>>[...]
>>> I don't know if this problem is fixed, but the trace log feature isn't
>>> working properly for me.
>>
>>No, it doesn't work yet.  I have looked at it since but haven't figured it
>>out.  I haven't given up yet, but i'm still nursing my forehead from the
>>first attempt.
>
>       Is this a new problem?  I distictly remember Doug recommending to
>someone to use trace file logging as the default, and thus assuming that
>the redirection of stderr via an equality statement gimmick was OK for the
>DOS/WIN/NT ports as well.

Wayne and Doug,

        From Doug's recent posts it would appear that the equality
statement gimmick does still work with the 386 version.  Is this related
to the compiler, i.e., whether the code is compiled with a Unix emulation
compiler versus Borland?  Did it ever work when compiled with Borland?
What compiler recommondations would you make to people who might want to
make tweaks in the W32 version?

        I put cp.exe, mv.exe and sendmail.exe in C:\WINDOWS and have had
no apparent problem accessing them without explicit setting of the path
on invoking the W32 Lynx.  However, when I 'd'ownloaded a text file
(LYMail.c from the dev5 source breakout) and subsequently tried to view
it with Notepad, it was garbled due to non-recognition of newlines.  I
went to the MS DOS prompt and opened it with that editor, and it displayed
OK.  I then Save'd that, and it displayed OK in Notepad too.  This seems
to mean that Notepad needs CRLF, but the DOS editor doesn't, to recognized
newlines, and the DOS editor converts LFs to CRLFs on Save's.  Do you have
any recommendations on how to deal with all this more conveniently when
trying to view files 'd'ownloaded by Lynx when accessing them via Desktop
utilities?

                                Fote
--
Foteos Macrides (address@hidden during April, '98)