Re: lynx-dev Windows,Dos and Lynx

From: Michael Sokolov
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Windows,Dos and Lynx
Date: Fri, 22 May 98 22:30:26 -0400

address@hidden wrote:
> Wrong. It's Windows. It seems there may be some kind of conflict between the
> way the djgpp lynx port mangages either screen writes or memory and windows
> and other programs created using djgpp since I can run these other djgppp
> programs under both dos and windows with no problems whatsoever.
>
> If your "DJGPP's Castrated DPMI" claim was true, I wouldn't be able to run
> ANY these other djgpp-complied programs under windows either since they all
> make use of "DJGPP's Castrated DPMI" as you put it. (BTW, in case you didn't
> know djgpp programs when run under windows make use of window's DPMI server
> as I recall) so if there are in fact problems in the dos lynx port related
> to the use of DPMI the problem lies in windows, not djgpp.

YOU are wrong! First of all, we are talking about DOS386 here, not about the
little GUI app called Windows. Second, by "DJGPP's Castrated DPMI" I was
referring to the DPMI _client_ code in DJGPP's libc.a, NOT to CWSDPMI. The
former IS the guilty party. When a protected mode app needs to call real mode
software like a packet driver, it has to use the DPMI translation services.
Since DJ's understanding of DPMI is completely wrong, it should be obvious even
to a porcupine that DJGPP's use of the translation services HAS to be wrong
too. Apparently you are blaming DOS386-based software like Windows because your
DJGPP apps works under CWSDPMI but not under DOS386. What you don't realize,
however, is that it's _DJ_ who is violating the DOS Protected Mode Interface,
_NOT_ DOS386. (The latter is the _REFERENCE IMPLEMENTATION ON WHICH THE SPEC IS
BASED_.) Here you are acting like an ass-headed webmaster who calls Lynx buggy
because unlike Netscrap and Exploiter it actually _FOLLOWS THE SPEC_.

Sincerely,
Michael Sokolov
Phone: 440-449-0299
ARPA Internet SMTP mail: address@hidden